Official website of the Karnataka Veterinary, Animal and Fisheries University, Bidar.
Genesis of the KVAFSU
Realizing the loss of two decades of prime development in the growth of animal husbandry, dairy and fisheries under Agricultural Universities set up, the Government of Karnataka took bold steps in establishing the new University called Karnataka Veterinary, Animal and Fisheries Sciences University on the floor of the Legislative Assembly. The KVAFSU was formed as per the Karnataka Act No. 9 of 2004 called The Karnataka Veterinary, Animal and Fisheries University Act 2004 and published in the Karnataka Gazette Extra-Ordinary on the 23rd day of February, 2004. The University was established exclusively for the development of education and learning; conduct of research and extension education and transfer the rural oriented technologies in the areas of Veterinary, Animal, Dairy and Fisheries Sciences in Karnataka. The logo of the University is inscribed with the slogan Farmers Friendly and Rural Oriented, which emphasizes the importance given to betterment of farming community. Prof. R.N. Sreenivas Gowda was appointed as its first Vice-Chancellor and served with effect from September, 2004 until February 9th, 2008. Later Prof. G.S. Bhat and Dr.S.Mallikarjunappa served as Acting Vice-Chancellors for a brief period from February 10th, 2008 to July 24, 2008. Prof Suresh Honnappagol
was served as second Vice Chancellor of the University.
Dr. C. Renukaprasad has been appointed as third Vice-Chancellor of the University from 21st September,
KVAFSU is an autonomous academic institution governed by its Board of Management which regulates the polices of the university in accordance with the provision of act and statues. The University administration also has the support of the finance Committee. Academic matters are looked after by the Board of Studies of Faculties and the Academic Council, while Research Council and Extension Education Council decide the research and extension activities of the University, respectively.
University Head Quarters is located at Nandinagar Campus, Bidar, the northern most district of the state.
The primary objective and mandate of the university is to uplift the rural livestock, poultry and fish farmers with a motto of ‘Rural Oriented and Farmer Friendly’ activities. The university has a territorial jurisdiction of entire state of Karnataka covering all 28 districts.
- Making provision for imparting education in different branches of study particularly veterinary and animal sciences, dairy sciences, fisheries and other allied sciences.
- Furthering the advancement of learning and research, particularly in veterinary and animal sciences, dairy sciences, fisheries and other allied sciences.
- Undertaking the extension of veterinary and animal sciences, dairy sciences, fisheries and other allied sciences to the rural people of the state.
- Such other purposes as the State Government may specify by notification in the official gazette.
Objectives of the University are
- To impart professional quality higher education in different branches of Veterinary, Animal and Fisheries Sciences.
- To further the advancement of learning and prosecution of Research in Veterinary, Animal and Fisheries Sciences other allied sciences.
- To undertake the Extension Education of such specialized knowledge and transfer of technologies to the needy rural farmers in cooperation with the Government Departments concerned.
- To take up such other objects that the State Government may notify from time to time.
The mission of the Karnataka Veterinary, Animal and Fisheries Sciences University, Bidar, is to strive hard and provide leadership in teaching, research and extension education services related to veterinary and animal sciences, dairy sciences, fisheries and other allied sciences. The University Endeavour is to keep pace with new frontiers of science and contemporary developments to be socially and technically relevant. In this context, the Karnataka Veterinary, Animal and Fisheries Sciences University is strongly committed in absorbing newer paradigms and using them to develop excellent human resource, innovative technologies and their dissemination so as to serve the livestock and fishery farming community of the state and the country.